Thursday, July 19, 2012

Where are we hiking this weekend?

This became the most asked question of 2012 in the Griffith house.  Mike joined the American Lung Association's Climb for Clean Air, to raise money for the ALA and to summit Mt. Rainier.  This meant that Mike was going to be spending the summer fundraising and training and that I was going to be spending the summer going along for the ride.

Before 2012 I had only been on a hiking trial twice in my adult life.  The first time was in the summer of 2005; I was overweight, out of shape and not into nature.  The second time was in the summer of 2011; we hiked Mt. Pilchuck, didn't carrying a pack, and I asked "are we there yet" about 32 times.

We hit the trails hardcore this year!

  • Rattlesnake Ridge
  • Little Si
  • Mount Si
  • Tiger Mountain
  • Lake Ozette triangle
  • Lake Serene
  • Boulder River Falls
  • Heybrook Ridge
  • Mailbox Peak
  • Pebble Creek/Camp Muir
The two most challenging hikes of our life were Mailbox peak and Camp Muir.

Mailbox Peak

6 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 4100 feet...hardcore is an understatement.  After 2.5 hours of hyperextending our calves, we hit a boulder scramble and I was ready to give up.  Mike went on ahead and I sat at the bottom of the scramble feeling sorry for myself.  It took about three minutes for me to realize that I was getting in my own way.  I could scramble the shit out those rocks!  So I climbed onward and made it to the top.  The view was breathtaking!  I was so glad that I made it to the top!




We signed the mailbox that gives the hike its name.




A hike wouldn't be a hike without and awkward photo.  It kind of looks like Mike is wearing khaki underwear...You can call me crouching dragon.


On the way down I accidentally learned how to glissade (butt sled).  I was trying to gracefully walk down in the snow, and look like the hiking goddess that I am.  Instead I fell...and then kept falling.  I stopped fighting it and embraced it.  I make awkward look good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment